Monday 10 September 2007

Nigella

Typical Mickey. He was wanted this blog for years, nay decades and now he has it he is inventing reasons for not blogging. Don't worry readers I am going to have serious words with him.

As I mentioned in my previous blog, there are now 423 cookery programmes on TV every week. I am pretty up to date with Gordon, Jamie and even James Martin on Saturday morning. I think my favourite may be the Aussie chef who appears on a Saturday morning on BBC1 and literally cannot take the smile off his face. His cooking looks ok, a lot of barbecue stuff but given he is an Aussie and lives in Australia that is probably not that unusual. But he grins constantly. It is almost as if he is thinking to himself "you pommie idiots are paying me to tell you how to cook sausages on a fire".

Anyway, yet again I digress. I watched Nigella Express tonight. The basic premise seems to be that Nigella cooks very nice looking food in very short periods of time. It all looks too easy. I like cooking and I quite like my friends. So once in a while I combine the two and cook for my friends. But it takes me ages. I have to think what to cook, but the ingredients and then cook it and that takes time. How come Nigella is able to do all of the above in less than an hour? Does she have assistants preparing the ingredients for her ? Do the BBC employ runners to nip down to the local Tesco and bring back the ingredients whilst she browses her Jamie Oliver cook book ? I have recorded today's episode so I might watch it again and see if I can see shadows of young children working away in the background, chopping onions and grating lemon zest whilst being whipped and cajoled by an over zealous producer. Don't worry readers - we will get to the bottom of this.

No comments: