Monday 22 October 2007

Shame on you, Peep Show makers

Here I am. Apologies to my many fans for keeping silent for so long, but here finally is my verdict on the recent E4 comedy sketch show, Dogface. This was billed as a "comedy show that combines fast-paced sketches with stylish 'dog-based' animation from the makers of Peep Show."

It was actually a lazy show repeating the same unfunny situations over and over again within each and every episode, interspersed with dog-based animation where pub conversations were played over pictures of dogs playing pool and that.

I've complained about Little Britain before, but at least they show a particular sketch only once per episode. I watched one and a half episodes of Dogface. In the one and a half episodes I watched there were six "sketches" which involved a man (Super Hans out of Peep Show) talking to his friend about man-love. There were six "sketches" which involved a man (Super Hans out of Peep Show) and his wife (or partner) on holiday with the man's parents where the wife (or partner) says something fairly harmless to his mother, he tells his wife to shut up (rudely), the wife then repeats to the man what she just said to his mother, he tells his wife to shut up (rudely), embarrassed silence followed by the man saying something to his mother similar to the thing his wife had said. There were six sketches involving an unhappy weather lady (played by the woman who was in the episode of Peep Show where Mark pretends to be a University student, and who is now in the Peter Serafinowicz show) where the weather forecast degenerates into a rant about a broken relationship.

So what I'm saying is that they're showing these sketches four times per episode. So within a series of six episodes they would have shown these three sketches twenty-four times each. How can they live with themselves? A sketch that in Fry and Laurie's day would have lasted one minute is now stretched to get half an hour (after adverts).

And the sketches weren't funny anyway. Repeating them doesn't help. The sketches that my friends and I wrote when we were drunk fifteen years ago are more deserving of a comedy series than the rubbish on Dogface (although I think most of the sketches would probably have been a little offensive to certain religious groups).

Anyway, Peter Serafinowicz's show is much better. While there are repeated themes in the sketches, they are sufficiently different to meet with my approval. It's not the funniest sketch show ever made, but Serafinowicz is an excellent performer, and he does the best Alan Alda impression I've ever seen. I applaud him. If I had a special Mickey's Prize, this week's would go to Peter Serafinowicz.

Should I now go into what I watched last night?
  • The Sopranos - Yes, it's good and it was the penultimate episode so lots of interesting things happened. I like the Sopranos.
  • Some other stuff - I think I'll stop this what I watched last night thing. It's not really doing anything, and if all I watched was the news and a film, it doesn't really make for interesting reading.

I note that Armstrong and Miller return to our screens on Friday in a BBC One sketch show. They were prone to repeating themes in their sketches during their Channel Four days, but they didn't rely on catch phrases and repetition, and it was before Little Britain spoilt it for everyone else. I await their show with cautious optimism.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having said that, sometimes problems can easily cause problems with any credit score, similar to divorce, sickness as well as redundancy Anthony Richard Clarke One must function as the possessor of any six months older existing bank-account

Anonymous said...

You want him to delicious packet of spectacular sightseeing, nutrient, nightlife, Shopping, and a lot more than. [url=http://saghir178.eb2a.com/showthread.php?p=55816#post55816]Read This[/url] link Interestedly, Bengali spoken communication is the you should keep in mind. http://audicoupe.s2.bizhat.com/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=18