Monday 10 December 2007

Worst. Show. Ever.

Once again I have gone weeks without a post (apologies to our hundreds of readers), but today I saw a programme that demanded my scrutiny and needle sharp criticism.

Today a programme arrived on my screen that makes one of Britain's best known entrepreneurs, Peter Jones' ill-fated vanity project Tycoon look like The Sopranos.

Britain Sings Christmas is an epic show in which a choir of top celebrities, including Diarmuid Gavin (sp?), ABC's Martin Fry and Janine from EastEnders sing the top ten Christmas songs according to a poll, and the British public get the privilege to vote as to which one of the tunes is the best. And Kate Thornton presents it! She's still working!

It is everything I hate - a Christmas special celebrating Christmas songs. Celebrities being cheerful about these godawful mawkish travesties of music. The title. Britain Sings Christmas. What does that mean? Can a country sing Christmas? The website even has a clip of James Blunt (James Blunt!) talking about why he thinks some Christmas carol should be the best one (I'd have looked at the clip to find out which one, but my PC is so bad now I can't play videos). One of the songs is that Carey squawkfest All I Want For Christmas Is You. And did I mention that it's presented by Kate Thornton?

Yes, yes, I know it's for charity, but really. Just because it's for charity doesn't necessarily mean it's good. How about Britain Vomits, where a selection of top celebrities such as Katie Hopkins from the Apprentice, Midge Ure from Ultravox and Anton du Bek (sp?) off of Structly Come Dancing eat a selection of raw diseased meats and month old dairy products (as chosen by the British public). The first to fill a ten litre container with their sick wins £10,000 for the charity of their choice. Would that be okay?

What I've been watching recently:
  • I'm still persevering with Charlie Jade, on FX. I'm only eight episodes in though and it's getting increasingly difficult to watch. Things happen in it and the plot is progressing, but it's just really really dull. I wish I didn't have this strange compulsion to finish watching a series once I've started.
  • The Riches. This has really grown on me. At first it was all a bit "yeah okay, it passes the time" sort of thing, but I'm really enjoying it. I have nothing further to say, other than Minnie Driver was in the worst film ever made, Hope Springs.
  • Spooks. I've come into Spooks very late. I'm going to have to buy the DVDs of earlier series, as I absolutely love it. It's so good that it cancels out the badness of Robin Hood, and still leaves enough positive to counteract Bobby Davro in EastEnders.

I must confess that I only watched the first two minutes of Britain Sings Christmas. I tried watching more but as soon as I saw Simon Bates was in the choir I had to turn off. Bates is dead to me and I won't have him on my television. There. I've said it.

No comments: