Tuesday 8 January 2008

Mickey's Review of Christmas Part 2

Davie's criticism of Doctor Who's Christmas Special allows me to flow seamlessly into part II of my eagerly awaited "Mickey's Review of Christmas" series of posts. For my next thing that I was going to review was the Doctor Who Christmas Special.

And here, I'm starting it now. Look!

Doctor Who

Six weeks ago I was going to do a blog entry where I predicted that the Doctor Who Christmas special would be rubbish. But I was busy with other things (work and that probably, but it might have been laziness), so what would have been an incisive piece of speculative tripe never got to be written. What it would have said was that the fact that they've got Kylie Minogue in it meant that the story would be very dull and they needed a star name to make us forget about how bad it was.

And it turns out that if I had written this, I would have been right. Not even the presence of the great B Cribbins (when oh when will he be knighted?) could rescue it.

And now Davie has watched it, thinking that the Christmas Special will be one of the better episodes, finds a lot of rubbish about a mad company director, and it puts him off sci-fi for another ten years. My success in recommending Heroes to him had almost persuaded him to watch Battlestar Galactica, but this has cancelled out all my good work.

There was one good thing about it. One of the few people to survive was the arrogant dislikable fellow and at the end of it he was still arrogant and dislikable. He hadn't "grown" or "learnt something". I liked that. It reminded me of real life.

New Year Celebrations with Take That

Not my choice of programme to watch over the new year, although thank all that is good that we didn't watch Jool's Holland Hootenanny which appears to have been recorded and not done live over New Year. (Seriously, anyone who thought it was live is clearly a little dim, and anyone who then wrote in to complain that it wasn't live can't handle the 21st century and needs to be taken away to somewhere safe.)

Back to Take That - if there's anyone I didn't want to be the first to "officially" wish me happy new year it was Kate Thornton. I'd have had a happier new year if she'd kept her official new year wishes to herself, but there you go - 2008 off to the worst possible start, thanks Kate.

So there you have it. I watched four programmes over Christmas and New Year and they were all dreadful old rubbish. If only I'd taken time to watch To The Manor Born.

No comments: