Monday 30 June 2008

How Dare They

I would have posted long long before now, but for the fact that there is nothing on television.

Just a few weeks ago my Sky plus box was close to full capacity. There was BSG, Lost, Mad Men, Apprentice, Doctor Who, Heroes, Reaper (which I quite enjoyed), Pushing Daisies (which I didn't enjoy but felt as though I had to stick it out to the end), Peep Show etc. I had lots to watch. Life was good.

Now there's only Who and Heroes, and they're both finishing next week. My Sky plus box is empty. This is why Big Brother is popular. It's the only thing on television.

But my main reason for writing today is not to complain about the lack of television. It is to inform our many many fans of one of the most extraordinary shows I have ever seen.

I am talking of course about Who Dares Sings, on ITV on Saturday night.

I turned over by accident last Saturday during takeaway night at Mickey's, and was accosted by Ben Shephard and Denise van Outen asking the audience to all sing We Are Family. The audience were ecstatic, punching the air, grabbing their microphones and clapping like the hundred goons that they are.

Then the song started, and they all stood up, all swinging their shoulders and arms in time to the music (I believe this is called dancing) holding the microphones like they're proper singers, and belting the words out like they've been shot full of some hallucinogenic drug that makes them think they're Meat Loaf.

Denise is going round the audience with her own microphone, grabbing on to people and singing with them as though this is the way that humanity acts all the time. Gawping at the camera and emphasising the words to show that these particular audience members that she has just met are in fact all of her sisters that she has got with her.

Ben's at the front looking a little awkward seeing a hundred wild eyed audience members bellowing out Sister Sledge at him, but even he's still giving it plenty of beans.

No one in the audience seemed to have any self awareness. There was no one on the sidelines looking a little bit sheepish, a little bit shy. Everyone was giving it absolutely everything they had. None of the participants seemed to have any concept of embarrassment, shame or regret.

God. It was excrutiating. I've never been so ashamed, embarrassed, shocked, disturbed. I'm not ITV's biggest fan, but my life! This was an abomination!

I'll definitely watch it again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, ITV.

I'm so disappointed. Lowest common denominator, I'm afraid. Television for the masses, who gawp whilst devouring "tea" sat on furniture from DFS.

So, so Disappointed.

As Nietzsche would say..

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.


Wiccie

Anonymous said...

If you want lowest common denominator tv have a look at the lottery This Time Tomorrow show. I made that mistake last night. The hostess manages to be common, familiar and patronising to the contestants and viewers all at the same time - quite an achievement. She must have come from one of the telephone quiz or selling channels that have closed down. She was also wearing the ugliest blouse I've seen in a very long time. And I'm sure it was pre-recorded. Why can't they just give us the numbers and be done with it? Please have a look at it boys and let us know what you think.

Anonymous said...

This Time Tomorrow I shall be swinging from a noose if I watch anything further from ITV. Unless of course that lovely Dec and Ant are on.

I'd rather watch Aerobics Oz Style on Sky. Now that'll get you excited. All those lovely views.


How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
Henry David Thoreau


Wiccie