Thursday 14 February 2008

More great swearing

I agree with Davie that Gordon Ramsay's swearing is a marvellous thing. Much as I love it when he swears at the idiots he's trying to help, I like it best when he's on his own at the end, having sorted it all out, there are no problems left to solve, he's walking off into the sunset, and, for no reason at all, he just swears under his breath. There's really no need, but it's always a great bit of television.

But I don't think Ramsay is the best swearer on television. No, ladies and gentlemen I do not.

The best swearer on television is Susie Essman. She plays Larry David's manager's wife in Curb Your Enthusiasm and she really is the master of the potty mouth. She swears with such ferocity, her face twisted in vitriolic fury, jabbing fingers and fiery eyeballs, she doesn't even need to say the word for it to be offensive. But she does.

I love Curb Your Enthusiasm. But it's only this series that I've realised how much I love Larry David's manager's wife. She's the most hateful, unpleasant, aggressive character on television, and I think she might be the greatest comedy creation this century.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about Dog Borstal's Mic Martin? It's mostly bleeped out but you can tell what he's saying, and it's heartfelt and fluent.