Friday 1 February 2008

Torchwood

I do wish they'd stop all this adult content on Torchwood.

It's all so unnecessary. Here I am, sitting at home, settling down for a nice bit of sci-fi escapism. Maybe I've got a glass of fruit juice or I'm having a small fun size chocolate bar as a treat. I don't want any trouble, just want to enjoy a story in which time travel, creatures from space or spooky things play a significant role.

What I don't want is to see a bunch of incompetents blunder from bed to bed, putting the fate of all existence on whether they fancy someone or not, falling in lust with people in a completely unconvincing way and acting completely unprofessionally in a work environment.

You have the Welsh girl going from Guppy to Barrowman even though she's engaged. You've got the boss, Barrowman, going after the office junior during work time which would generally be frowned upon in a professional organisation. How can Barrowman do his year end appraisals with any objectivity? He'd have serious problems in an industrial tribunal if he sacked someone.

All for the sake of Torchwood being an "adult" programme.

Well, I say no. It's not adult. It's very very childish. It seems to be written with exactly the same mentality as Doctor Who, except they've stuck a few bedroom scenes in, and put in a bit of saucy chat about kissing and cuddling and that.

I'm sorry to harp on about it all the time, but if you want adult mixed with fantasy, watch Battlestar Galactica. The writers haven't just redone Star Trek and added a couple of sex scenes and a few swears. They've written an adult drama which just happens to be in space. And that's how Torchwood should be done. An adult drama which just happens to have Welsh people kissing and a cuddling in it.

Hmm. This is perhaps my worst post ever. I should have just gone on about how India Fisher's narration on Masterchef is still annoying me. ("For now they can relax, but tomorrow they face two even tougher challenges etc." every episode. Every single episode.)

No comments: