Monday 16 April 2007

Annoying children

Davie's right about that kid on Property Ladder on Wednesday. She had something to say about everything. Everything that came out of her mouth was naive, unoriginal and unfunny (says me), and yet her parents acted as though she was a cross between Gandhi and Oscar Wilde. I'll bet she doesn't go to school and is taught at home by said parents. Yes, I know she's only thirteen but she had that sort of completely misguided confident attitude about her which made me think that she's never been among children of her own age. No-one has told her (in a cruel and sadistic way) that she's annoying and that her opinion doesn't matter.

Do you remember that advert for Dairylea where these awful stage school kids sang a song about how much they liked Dairylea while running about in fields? I really hated it. "I like the taste of butter!" sang one. "I like the taste of cheese!" sang another one. "I like the taste of milk!" sang an even other one. "They're all in Dairylea!" cried the happy farmer. My tummy says it's time for tea. So let's down tools for Dairylea! There's enough for me, and me, and me!!!! A taste of the country. (Once again at this stage I point out that I might have got the words dreadfully wrong but I can't be bothered to do any checking. Heroes is on soon! I haven't got time.) And all the kids grinned and nodded furiously whenever the camera was on them. It was like Emu's Pink Windmill Show except without the pathetic dragon.

And then there was that obnoxious girl who was five or something who got her O-levels. She was homeschooled. Ruth someone or other. Went to Oxford at seven or something. Didn't have the humility and shyness that being at school grinds into you. Just looked her up on google using the keywords "ruth", "oxford" and "teenager", and it was first hit. Brilliant. Still she seems to be doing all right for herself now. Married with a couple of kids. Fair play to her. Well done. (Not very difficult though when you're a female mathematician. For every one female mathematician there are five hundred male ones, of which ten can actually hold a conversation with a female, so she was never going to struggle.)

I really haven't got anything to say today have I? If I'd thought about it, I'm sure I could have made this a bit more coherent. But Heroes is about to start and I meant to write this much earlier but my internet was down. Quick Mickey, write down what you watched on telly last night with comments when the mood takes you!

My viewing yesterday:
  • The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (I'm up to date - they had an Easter break which allowed me to catch up).
  • Have I Got News For You
  • Cricket World Cup
  • Ruddy Hell It's Harry and Paul or whatever it's called (I actually found this funny and laughed a number of times (I really wanted to not like it). However I have a feeling that every week is going to be the same characters doing the same things over and over again, within a couple of episodes it'll be catchphrase after catchphrase appealing to the playground masses. It's lazy, LAZY!)
  • Doctor Who (Like an immensely sad no-life thirty-six year old I've been waiting for over a year to find out what the Face of Bo was going to tell the Doctor, after it was "trailed" in the first episode of the previous series. I love that kind of prophetic rubbish when it's done properly on a telly show. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series now.)

Right, I'm now going to watch Heroes. And then I shall watch Prison Break. And then I shall go to bed. And then I shall go to sleep. And then I shall get up. And then I shall go to work.

No comments: