Sunday 29 April 2007

Doctor Who and the Australians

Davie, what did Lohit do wrong in the last Apprentice? Yes, he didn't say or do anything in the whole episode apart from printing out labels that didn't look so good, and yes, he made the mistake of not pretending to be Natalie's best friend in the whole world. But apart from that, he did okay. I'm slightly worried that at some point he'll have to be a team leader, which may cause problems with his strategy of not saying or doing anything at all ever.

Last night's television was very disappointing. I watched two things. The Cricket World Cup Final and Doctor Who.

First of all I shall write about Doctor Who. It was part two following on from the cliffhanger last week where Dalek Sec had mutated into a dalek/human hybrid. It was all a little stupid. The daleks are supposed to be git hard, but they only killed Hugh Quarshie. And the Doctor kept on just wandering up to them sometimes with a suicide wish and other times with a certainty that they weren't going to shoot him. There was no threat from them, no sense of true danger.

Back in the first series the writers did well by making daleks deadly - one dalek made the Doctor almost wet himself with fear, yet these ones just seemed to be just another monster.

And they have this potentially interesting villain with a dalek creature thing as a head, and what do they do with him? Make him a scientist type with a good nature so that half the episode is him and the Doctor trying to do some special experiments. It was like a weak episode of Star Trek The Next Generation that I've just made up where Geordie La Forge and a friendly Borg decide to join forces to solve a problem with the food replicators. Except Star Trek The Next Generation would have a secondary plot where, I don't know, Data is being taught how to eat ice cream by Wesley Crusher and Deanna Troi. And the ice cream would come from the replicators but the inconsistency in the plot wouldn't have been noticed because the writers were rubbish.

Seriously, I used to really like Star Trek The Next Generation, but when I think about it, it was rubbish! Really weak. At least it was better than Voyager and Enterprise. And I watched every episode. That reminds me. I've got the complete video collection for Star Trek Deep Space Nine if anyone wants to buy them from me. In very good condition. All 173 episodes on 88 tapes. Only watched once. VHS format. Anyone?

So, that was the disappointing Doctor Who. Then there was the equally disappointing Cricket World Cup Final. Australia won easily, just like they won every other match they played. Regular readers will know I like cricket, me, but this tournament was dreadful. Out of seven hundred games played over the three years that this world cup has been running, there were only three good ones, and I missed those. I saw all six hundred and ninety seven of the others.

Adam Gilchrist plays a ridiculous innings which completely ruins the game as a competition. And then at the end, they have to play in darkness because the referees (or umpires as I like to call them) didn't understand the rules.

The only good thing was that by the end it was so dark that you couldn't see the smug self satisfied faces of the Australians as they bullied yet another team into submission. I don't know what it is about them, I'm sure they're all nice people, but the Australian cricket team just annoy me so much. The way McGrath holds up the ball every time he gets a five wicket haul. It's just all look at me look at me I'm Glenn McGrath me aren't I great?

Mickey's tv viewing last night bullet pointed for your convenience
  • Doctor Who (Brilliant! A human dalek hybrid, but with a twist! My favourite bit was when the Doctor tried to sacrifice himself in order to save the faceless New Yorkers in Hooverville. Powerful stuff. Kudos to the writers!)
  • Cricket World Cup Final (Well done to the Australians! There's no denying it, they're a great cricket team! Perhaps the greatest! Oh what I'd give to see them play against the West Indies sides of the seventies and eighties! Adam Gilchrist's innings was sublime! Probably the finest batting performance ever in a world cup final. And what a great send off for Glenn McGrath. Well done Pigeon! I will miss your metronomic precision and justified self-confidence.)

Hey everyone. Did you see what I did there? Mmmm? Did you??

No comments: